I like muffins. I think I’ve mentioned that before, but they are just the perfect little baked good. Plus, once you have a good base recipe you can kind of play around depending on your ingredients and how healthy you would like to make it. My favorite blueberry muffins come from Stillwell’s Bakery here on Maui, and I’m not sure how they make them, but they probably use about a stick of butter in each muffin. They also have a nice crunchy streusel topping. When I saw this recipe for the ‘best ever blueberry muffins‘, probably on pinterest, I just had to try it. However, this morning I only had frozen berries and whole wheat flour. Plus, since they have a bit of butter I omitted the oil and used applesauce instead. They were still super yummy. Hence the title.
- 3 T white sugar
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1/3 c flour
- 5 T melted butter
- 2 c frozen berries (i used the triple berry mix from costco, but i’m sure fresh berries would work fine)
- 1 1/8 c plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 c wheat flour
- 1/2 c white flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 c applesauce
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Make streusel topping. Adjust flour/butter to get a nice crumbly topping
2. Put oven rack in middle and turn on over to 400 degrees. Spray or line muffin tin with paper liners.
3. Put one cup of the berries in a small sauce pan with water and 1 teaspoon sugar. simmer over medium heat about 6 minutes, mash with a masher, then set aside to cool.
4. Whisk together flours, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
5. In another bowl or standing mixer, whisk remaining sugar with eggs, until thick and well combined. Slowly mix in butter and applesauce. Add mil and vanilla, whisk together. Using rubber spatula, fold in egg mixture and remaining berries into flour mixture until just combined.
6. Add to muffin tins. Top each muffin with teaspoon of the cooked berry mixture. With toothpick, make figure eights to mix the berries slightly into batter. Ass streusel topping.
7. Cook for about 20 minutes.
So healthy, you can eat two.
- Just too beautiful not to photograph