Here’s how I know a dish is a winner in my house-
1. Ali will eat it.
2. Matt will eat leftovers
If anything lingers in my house for longer than a couple days, I will probably never make it again. This is why I make a lot of pizza.
This is a dish that is relatively easy to prepare, has many cooking options (stove or slow-cooker/add whatever veggies you have on hand), and has to be healthy for you.
Curry Lentil Veggie Stew Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 2 cups kale or chard, chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp curry
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Add-ons- top with plain yogurt, parmesan, feta, or other cheese as desired!
Directions for Stove Cooking
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat, and saute onions for 4 minutes
- add garlic, cook for 1 min.
- add carrots and cook for another couple minutes (you can also add chopped leeks, celery…)
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over low to medium heat for 90 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- top with desired add-ons!
Time Saver/Do Ahead tips- chop onion and carrots (keep separate) in vitamix on medium speed, or in food processor. Do this at nap time if convenient. Also, prepare all your spices in a small bowl at this time.
Directions for Slow-Cooker
- Follow directions above, but using a saute pan, then add all the ingredients together in a slow cooker
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4.
Sorry no pictures- it’s lentil stew! not the most photogenic of meals!