I’m normally an avid baker, but with two kids I’m a bit short on time these days. So, I’ve been playing around with some balls. I’ve seen some attractive looking balls recently on Pinterest, and wanted to share today’s winning recipe. Last week, I made the energy balls from Gimme Some Oven, but they didn’t have the ‘no bake cookie’ taste as promised, and something in them made the roof of my mouth feel gritty. Admittedly, I may have over done it on the toasted coconut, they also had a lot of flax seed.
Today, I tried the Date and Peanut Ball recipe from 7spice, which was remarkably easy, not messy to make, quick, and really, really tasty. They have a nice chocolate/peanut butter flavor and almost creamy consistency, with the added crunchiness of the nuts. They are almost like a cross between a baked good and a candy.
Peanut and Date Energy Balls
makes about 12-13 1.5″ balls
- 1 C dry roasted peanuts
- 10-12 medjool dates, pitted, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (i used special dark)
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt (omit if using salted peanuts)
Directions (if using Vitamix)*
- Place peanuts in vitamix and blend on low-med speed until crumbly with some larger pieces.
- Empty into a bowl. Blend dates until very sticky and become a gooey mass.
- Add dates to peanuts, then add the rest of the ingredients, and mix together with your hands until blended and forms one big ball.*
- Using a melon baller or ice cream scoop, or spoon, make some balls!
- Keep in air-tight container and refrigerate
*If using a regular food processor, you can probably do step 3 in the processor and blend, instead of your hands. I had no luck with this step in the vitamix… there are limitations to that machine!